Say it loud for the people in the back!
Don't put your recycling in bags in your recycling cart. Recyclers can't tell what's in the bag, so your items might not get recycled. Recycle Smart, do your part and place recycling loose in your cart.
Try using an unlined bin or reusable bag to collect recycling in your home and then put it loose in your recycling cart. Learn more at stpaul.gov/recycle
FREE PET WELLNESS CLINIC
Saturday, June 22, 2019
10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
618 N. Avon St., St. Paul, MN 55104
No appointment needed; first-come, first-served
Free rabies and distemper vaccines for the first 200 dogs and 150 cats
• Free bag of pet food for the first 200 dogs and cats
• Free nail trims
• Dog owners are asked to bring dogs on a leash and cats must be safely contained in a carrier
• If you do not have a leash, collar or carrier, please call 651-788-4685
• $25 spay/neuter surgeries available for pets of Frogtown and East Side residents (Their definition of Frogtown includes 2/3 of Summit-University, see map)
Questions? Call 651-788-4685
Map of service area:
The Center for Urban & Regional Affairs - CURA is hosting a Neighborhood Leadership Training for People of Color and Indigenous People June 20.
The training is open to People of Color and Indigenous who want to join their neighborhood board and create local change so they are prepared to run at their neighborhood association or district council annual meeting elections, or want to inquire about board vacancies in their community.
District 8/ Summit-University's elections are coming up soon, and we have vacancies right now for people who may want to join this community board by petition. Call 651-228-1855 for more information.
Please visit the link below for more information. It is a one-day training. If you need help with transportation to the event, please contact us and we will try to assist.
For the past 5 years Metro Transit has been working to improve waiting facilities for customers and working with community to allocate facility and maintenance resources to best serve our customers with the Better Bus Stops program.
This year there are 39 shelter improvements are planned in St Paul. These improvements include the installation of new shelters, as well as adding heat and light to existing shelters throughout the city. Please note some plans may change depending on final design and construction schedules.
Additionally, 29 shelters have been identified for relocation due to low ridership (fewer than 15 people boarding the bus per day). Most of these shelters are located on University Avenue between Fairview Ave and Rice Street. Many of these shelters were added or kept for Route 16 service, but as Green Line has become the primary choice for transit customers in the corridor. Similar relocations were made with several of the west University (Minneapolis) bus stop locations in 2018. Bus service will continue at these bus stop locations.
Summit-University bus stops getting a new shelter:
RT 65 on Dale at Selby (North side)
Summit-University bus stops getting heat and/or light:
RT 65 on Dale at University (North side)
Shelters that are being removed, but the stop will still exist:
East sides on University at Victoria, Grotto, St. Albans, Kent, Mackubin, Arundel, Western, and Farrington.
West sides on University at Arundel, Mackubin, Kent, St. Albans, Grotto, Avon, Victoria, Chatsworth, and Oxford.
Enter for your chance to win a block party starter kit!
The Saint Paul Police Department - Western District is sponsoring and Early Bird Registration Contest for National Night Out. Parties that register by June 30th will be entered.
1 party from each of the districts will win a party starter pack complete with banner, paper products, apron, balloons, coloring books, helium and more.
Visit www.http://stpaul.gov/nno for more info!
SPPD is hosting Safe Summer Nights events every Thursday through the end of August!
Stop by for games, food, and resources!
MLK Rec Center
271 N Mackubin St.
Thursday July 11, 2019
Join us at this year’s Northern Spark Festival in Rondo:
Friday, June 14 and Saturday, June 15
Links to hours and events below!
Northern Spark is a late-night, free, family-friendly arts festival that lights up the Twin Cities in three neighborhoods: the American Indian Cultural Corridor and Downtown East in Minneapolis, and in the Rondo neighborhood of St. Paul.
Festival activities are taking place a Hallie Q. Brown Community Center and Rondo Community Library. A bus that doubles as a Rondo story / history tour will shuttle people in between.
Northern Spark is produced by Northern Lights.mn, and they have been working for over a year in partnership with Hallie Q. Brown, Penumbra Theater, Aurora St. Anthony Community Development Corp, and Model Cities to plan the festival in Rondo.
At Hallie Q Brown Center attendees will find 10 projects by Rondo artists ranging from immersive sound and light installation to African drumming and dance to yard sign poetry to storytelling. There will also be a stage of performances with an Open Mic from 9-10 pm each night. Read more about the projects here. (Filter by “Rondo”)
This year’s theme, We Are Here: Resilience, Renewal & Regeneration is drawn from community responses in the neighborhoods where the festival takes place and speaks to the power our communities have to claiming space through creative expression.
If you have been busy this spring and you have some furniture/electronics/bikes/etc. that you need to clear out of your house, then you can't miss this event! This year, we will not have a Drop-Off Cleanup in Summit-University, but you are able to participate in any of the four held around the city.
The best news is that Summit-University residents are invited to volunteer and volunteers get to drop off one load for free. Save some money, and give back to the community!
The last one for the summer will be on June 22, from 8 am- 1 pm at the Washington Tech Magnet School.
Visit this link for more information, or to sign up to volunteer:
The Metropolitan Council Housing and Redevelopment Authority (Metro HRA), the Minneapolis Public Housing Authority, and the St. Paul Public Housing Agency will be accepting online applications for the section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program.
Online Applications will be available:
8:00 AM Wednesday June 12th 2019 through 12:00 PM Tuesday, June 18th 2019
Apply to each waiting list separately. Apply any time during the open period - applications must be submitted online by 12:00 PM, Tuesday, June 18th 2019. There is no advantage of applying early. To complete the applications (24 hours a day during the noted time period) visit the following websites:
The MPHA will place 2,000 applicants on the waiting list through a random drawing from all applications received. Minneapolis Public Housing Authority will award 95% of waiting list placements to applicants who live, work, or attend school full-time in Minneapolis. The remaining 5% of waiting list placements will be awarded to any other applicant. The residency preference does not have the purpose or effect of delaying or otherwise denying admission based on race, color, ethnic origin, gender, religion, disability, or age of any member of the applicant family.
St. Paul: www.waitlistcheck.com/STPAUL
The St. Paul Public Housing Agency will place 3,500 applicants on the waiting list through a random drawing from all applications received. ST. Paul PHA will award 95% of waiting list placements to applicants who live, work, or attend school full-time in St. Paul, or to applicants who have been deemed “homeless” through Ramsey County’s Coordinated Entry System. The remaining 5% of waiting list placements will be awarded to any other applicant.
Plus: The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program provides rental assistance to households with very low income. In order to qualify, annual gross household income cannot exceed:
1 persons: $35,000
2 persons: $40,000
3 persons: $45,000
4 persons: $50,000
5 persons: $54,000
Applications will not be available in the agency offices, and fax or e-mail requests will not be accepted. Applicants may use any computer, tablet or smart-phone to apply, including free computers at public libraries and at the housing authority, if available. Applicants needing a reasonable accommodation, free language assistance, or who require this information in an alternative format are encouraged to submit a request to any of the agencies in advance of the waiting list opening. Translation will be available in 60 different languages.
The Community Peace Celebration is coming up soon!
This annual event is free and open to everyone. There's lots of great family-friendly activities, food, and local entertainment.
Ober Community Center, 376 Western
Call Taz at 612-234-5159 for more information
The Porchlite is a monthly newsletter and blog that is developed by the SUPC Communications Committee.